Pages

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Buenos Aires Trip

In February, I had the chance to go to Buenos Aires, Argentina for a medical conference.  This was my first time to Argentina and I found it to be very different then what I had expected.  I live in South America but Buenos Aires definitely did not have the Latino feel.  In fact, the only thing that was similar to Ecuador was the fact that they speak Spanish.  I would describe Buenos Aires as more European with a feel of Italy and Spain. 


The food was nothing like that of Ecuador or other countries in Central and South America that I have been to.  There was plenty of good steaks to be eaten there though!  Dinner really isn't served until about 9 p.m.  I went to a restaurant one night at 8 p.m. and the only other people there were foreigners like me!  I figured that at 8 p.m. the tourists show up, at 9 p.m. the senior citizens start strolling in, at 10 p.m. the families start coming, and at 11 p.m. the young folks show up!  Dining out was the way of the culture, but for this young lady who likes to be in bed by 9 p.m., it was late nights and early mornings for me!


I went to Cafe Tortoni's a very old (1858) Cafe in Buenos Aires with some people from the conference.  Below is a picture inside of it.  This is the place many famous artists, poets, and writers went.

Earlier that day, I went to the San Telmo market.  San Telmo is an area of Buenos Aires that used to be very wealthy until it was hit by a yellow fever epidemic many years ago.  Now it is a cute little part of town that has a lot of antiques and every Sunday they do a big market.  Below is a picture of one of the stands and a lovely old couple that entertains the crowd with their tango dancing.


Tango is the thing to do and see here.  In case you can't remember the steps, no need to worry, they have them imprinted on the sidewalk!


Part of our trip included a special event at Bosch Palace where the U.S. Ambassador lives.  This is an amazing historical building.  Below is a picture inside the formal dining room


I took a tour bus one day and stopped at Plaza 25 de Mayo where you will find the Casa Rosada.  The Casa Rosada is where the current president has her offices, but you may know this more for its history of Juan and Eva Peron's.  Eva Peron, more commonly known as, Evita.  Her husband had been arrested in October of 1945 by his opponents who feared his influence on the common workers and poor of Argentina.  On October 17th of the same year, the people gathered in Plaza 25 de Mayo and protested his arrest.  He was consequently released, married Evita, and went on to be the president of Argentina. 



Evita and her husband had a great passion for the people of Argentina and were very active in reaching out to the workers and the poor.  Evita was also instrumental in allowing women to vote in Argentina for the first time.  Her work is well known for the abandoned children in Buenos Aires where she started homes and children's city.  She also worked towards getting work programs started for the poor.  There is much to learn from her life and what she stood for.  So much of what I read and saw reminded me so much of Pan de Vida and what we try to accomplish for the poor there.  Below you will find her museum, a replica of one of the kitchen's used to feed the children and poor, work programs, and her memorial.






The trip was wonderful, but the best part was coming home and seeing my two Oscar's again!

1 comment:

Jewel said...

Hi Lori,
Thanks for the recap of your travels. It's interesting that the vibe of Argentina was so different than other S. American countries. I wonder is that due to differences in history, colonialism, etc.

Also, I'm sure no one else is interested, but I would love to know more about the medical conference!!

Hope you are well. Say hi to the Oscars!

-jewel